About the Blogger. Photography. Film Reviews. Contact Me.

Jan 22, 2009

i've smuggled myself into new nationalities, think you'd be proud of me

I should be sto scrivendo in Italiano but...I can't. I fail epically at writing in Italian. I've never grasped the grammar, but that is not surprising to anyone. I don't have a grasp of English grammar.

I like beginning sentences with conjunctions and ending them with prepositions.
And I still believe in adverbs.

The hilarious thing about my Linguistics class is that I have been teased fairly regularly for the fact that I mispronounce things. So this class could be a chance for me to learn real English. But I don't want to, because I've come to embrace my faults (another fault of mine). People should appreciate that I say "pin" the same as "pen" and pronounce "crayon" like "crown" and sometimes say "Lit-tra-ly" and that, like the Utahan I am not, I say mount'n and fount'n and butt'n. Besides, Jackson always made a great face when I said things strangely.

Sometimes I sit and doubt almost everything in my life.
Why can't I ever finish anything I start? Why do I always feel the need to run, but hardly ever exercise? Why I am I always cursed with jobs where I don't make any money? Why am I going into one of those jobs as a possible career? Why can't I speak Italian? Why can't I speak English? Why don't they teach Icelandic at BYU anymore? Do I have friends? Why am I majoring in something I know nothing about? Why didn't my parents make me develop marketable skills? Why don't I have real hobbies? Why do people get so concerned when things don't match? What happened in the last four months that made me ten times more awkward than I used to be? Why didn't I learn how to play guitar so I could start an all girl band, The Boyless Ones? Why does someone named Gustavo want to be my friend on facebook? Why am I never--hard as I try--attracted to the wealthy blonde ones?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. I got a "D" in Italian while I was living in Italy for my junior year abroad. Allora.

E. said...

a) you have friends.

b)vodka-saucing pasta is a fantastic hobby to follow, along with cupcaking and rescue dogging, not to mention hilarity and wit. Really. You've got so much of life covered.

c) if you're up to lead singer, I'll bring the guitar.

amaduli said...

You're majoring in something you know nothing about because it wouldn't make a lick of sense to major and take all those classes in something you already know. Why waste the time?