About the Blogger. Photography. Film Reviews. Contact Me.

Jun 20, 2010

Daddy Laws

I'm not sure if he knows this, but my dad has always been my inspiration.

I didn't even realize it at first...But I remember those times of curling up next to him and watching Cool Hand Luke or watching basketball with him and having no idea what's going on but always rooting for the team with either the most interesting mascot or my favorite color on their jersey. I would lay my head on his stomach and it would always make funny noises. And he always made popcorn. And now making movies is what I am actually doing with my life.

He taught me to like music like Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash but he'd also listen to Jet and Dispatch songs on our roadtrips and we spent an hour analyzing the meaning of the General and he thought the words to one song was "take my Frodo off the wall." instead of photo.

On special occasions he'll buy my mom the same flowers they had at their wedding.

He loves my mom. He always teases her but I've never seen them fight.

He always tells me, "the only boy a girl can count on is her daddy."

He didn't give my dog away even though she barked at him every time he came home for about five years. And he would even get up with her in the middle of the night sometimes when she needed to go out.

He loves to travel and has always supported me when I want to do the same.

He hates BYU, but still helped me pay for school.

He trained me to be tough. He always tells me how I hiked five miles when I was five. And he tells it in this way that makes me feel like he was really proud and it makes me want to be tough and endure things that might be hard, because hey if I hiked five miles when I was five, I can do anything right? And he tricked me into going onto scary rides by lying to me and forced me to go onto Indiana Jones twice even though I didn't want to and we only made absolutely necessary stops on roadtrips.

He has taught me important life lessons in a way that makes sense, not in a "do this because i say so" kind of way. He let me figure things out for myself even though he knew what would happen all along.

He would play thumb wars with me at church and now I can beat almost anybody.

He has always told me I can do anything. And he does it in a way that makes me believe him.

outside the provo temple, just two weeks ago.

No comments: