About the Blogger. Photography. Film Reviews. Contact Me.

Nov 10, 2011

Roma ra-ra-ra-ra Roma

Well, Rome is GREAT!


Seriously, I love it here.
I always think it can't get any better and then it does, or at least comes equal. The Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps and central downtown Rome are all in our zone. And at first I am like, yeah, whatever, old stuff, but there is such an energy here. People everywhere and they are all fantastic and I am so glad I am here at this point in my mission when I've got more confidence and got the language down. The other day I started a conversation with some musician guy by telling him he shouldn't be smoking because it's bad for him and then he is telling me how God exists but doesn't know us and I am telling him he's wrong.


But then there is the slight problem of the people who don't speak Italian. Like the man on the metro who just stared at me and didn't respond. He sort of nodded his head when I asked if he spoke Italian but that was it. Or the Peruvian who I had an entire conversation with him speaking in Spanish me in Italian, turns out that middle school Spanish paid off afterall. But it was still pretty hard to understand. But there is definitely no shortage of people or adventures.


The journey here was long and a bit cramped on the overnight bus, but we swapped stories about
Sicily and africans and contemplated the adventures ahead of us. Then the assistants came and got us and it was 7am so we sat in the office for a bit and then went to see the colosseum while we waited to meet with everyone (pictures are on Slla Stebars camera, maybe someday we will see them again).


Then we went to the main station to wait for everyone to show up.
Happy reunion time. And...I saw Sorella Foote!!
She's gone now, so weird. But her memory lives on, in my heart. That night we went to corralation and I pitched (film flashback) the referral idea we got from Anz. Pedeira so we are going to do that this month and we want to do some awesome activity with the ward something that only Americans could come up with to blow their socks off...we just don't know what yet.


Then it was English Course and apparently the two missioniaries that got transferred usually taught so we were just winging it and I told them busses was spelled with two s's and Anz. Larsen was like, "um, no" but then I ended up saving the day with my mad improv skills and we pulled a lesson out of it all anyway. And when I sat back down Slla Camp leans over and says,
"I am so glad you are here."

We have plans to advertise like crazy, especially around the university because right now we only have three students.



After that we went to the magical cornetti place by the church where they make cornetti by the masses and they are SO good and only 50c. Changing my life.



Sorella Camp and I are having a fantastic time,

we're like Shirley and Laverne, we're like the Professor and Gilligan, we are like Batman and Michael Cane, we are like Simba and Nala.


We have everything important in common, love of musicals,


chocolate, pizza, elbow patches on tweed jackets, singing in the shower, and gelato, desire to work hard and change lives, I only have pictures of us eating...Which we do a fair share of that too.

Rome has everything and pizza on every corner and forget six months to sexy (I dont have that much time anyway) because I am going to enjoy it while I can. And you will all be so excited to see me you will have to love me even if I am fat. We are very unified...except for that time she got off the bus and I didn't. And we had to meet up halfway between the busstops. We were both laughing so hard by ourselves everyone probably thought we were nuts. It was a glorious reunion after 130 seconds apart.



I have to explain one of the photos.

Our second day together we finally saw each other in the morning and I said, um, we match. Because we had perfectly coordinated tan,black,purple. We are just that tight.



And then I know its weird that I am wearing purple, but I have been wearing Slla Pearsons clothes she left so I dont have to iron.




And don't worry about us being in the ghetto,
there are bars on all our windows. And I feel like I am living in the lap of luxury because...I HAVE MY OWN BATHROOM. And unlike Ragusa there is water pressure. And I am in the fabled Roma 3 that I have heard so much about from different missionaries I have served with. It's crazy coming across old records that say Reyes and Cardiff on them or meeting the people Slla Hansen talked about or the young women that swooned over Anz Garcia when he played a song from twilight on the piano.


There is all kinds of history here in Rome. So I am excited about the shower, but then we saw the entryway of the Anz. apartment (the old Slle apt) and it's got paintings framed in gold frames and is super posh and so I got just a little bit jealous.


We have the Anz right down the street

and there is an IPERCOOP and a fruitstand next door. We have got to made here. I dont know what I did to deserve this. And there are parks everywhere and the busses come every 15 minutes (except on Sunday). But it is crazy because we are always on busses-metros-trains but its fun.


We just saw a poster for Twilight and I am glad I'm missing that because the last book was disgusting, I don't want any of those images in my mind.




The ward is amazing, I am already in love with all of them. It helps that half of them are named Fabrizio and the other half are named Jose. It is just such a warm and welcoming ward and even though the building looks a little like a prison it's the inside that counts.


I got to sit in on sunday school with the teenagers because I was translated for a family that was visiting from
Saudi Arabia (but they're American--Dad did you meet a Casey Clements when you were there, they were there then too).


Waiting for the bus I looked down the street and taught, "Cute. A nun walking with a little boy" ...turns out it was one of our members, she was wearing all black and a huge white headband. haha. The whole day I kept mistaking her for a nun.




We had a family night with one of the Fabrizio's who isn't a member, but his wife is. They have the cutest baby and he is the most adorable father I have ever seen, he loves that baby SO much

He comes to church every Sunday, she (wife) gave us the impression that he doesn't want to be pushed. We weren't sure what his situation was but we decided to teach the whole family the Plan of Salvation, he knows he is not going to go to the celestial kingdom if he doesn't get baptized, but he seems to think that he just isn't good enough--which we know is one of Satan's best tricks, convincing us we are not good enough. We found out that he hasn't prayed since he was a kid! We committed them to read and pray as a couple every day for a week and that we would be back next week to see if they did it. He agreed.




Zohra, member, is probably the most amazing person I have ever met. I wish I had taken a picture because she reminds me a little bit of Sybil. She is from Tunisia. And she was talking about how her friend was racist against blacks and she was like, "well I am black too, there is no sorta black." even though she is more or less Italian looking. So does that mean I can be a little bit Black too? I hope so. But she is just fantastic she was teaching us about how children are not private property and you have to let them grow. How God always gives us miracles and we just need to have faith and how she would want to make something for dinner and her mom/daughter/whoever would say, "there's no bread" and she would say, "have faith" and open the fridge and there would be something left in the corner of the fridge, and so she has always had faith that God will provide. She used to be Muslim but she now has an unbreakable testimony of Christ.



And we are doing lots of finding!
Life is great.
I love y
ou all.
It's sunny and we have both seen just about everything
in Rome so we are going to go sit on our roof and write letters.
Doesn't that sound magical
And I am so happy to be in the capital of Italy
teaching people from all over the world.

My. Life. Is. The. Best.

I'm never coming home.

Still love you all though. Muchos.


LOVE, Sorella Laws



p.s. Expect a miracle.



No comments: