About the Blogger. Photography. Film Reviews. Contact Me.

Mar 16, 2011

Another (P)Day, Another Destiny


Seems that no matter how many hymns and EFY songs I listen to, Les Miserable still manages to get stuck in my head now and again. Somethings are just ingrained that deep. ;)


Right now we are with the sorelle from Taranto and going to a little city for some sight-seeing we had an amazing conference yesterday that changed my life. Sunday we went to visit the branch in Bitonto. They loved us and fed us a great lunch. Friday we went to find these less actives and all their addresses were printed wrong, but I felt like FBI or something because I would be like, "this says 15, I bet they meant 5." and then we found it. Or one didnt have the street, but we asked people until someone knew where it was. There is no hiding from the Sorelle! ha.


And we met this man on the bus who was talking about all the things he believed and I said, "yes, because God loves us" and he goes "GOD LOVES US!! YES!!" I almost fell off my seat. It was the best reaction Ive gotten to that simple statement of truth.

Pictures


I may or may not have hopped the fence so we could
get flowers to give people.


Sorella Foote told me I looked like a giraffe and I was like, "what are you talking about?" upon seeing the picture it makes more sense.


Our ward mission leader and his wife. They are both delightful.


Anziano Reyes offered to pull the granny cart for us. They are good to us. (and he was tired of seeing it flip over
every time I pulled it off the curb, ha)


the last picture is us helping a member pack. That is really what her entryway looks like.


What more really is there to say than I love you.
Heavenly Father loves you.
He loves me. He loves the people here in Bari
and he just wants immense happiness for all of us.
And I love the people here in Bari.


Its so easy to get caught up in selfishness. We worry about the things we need, about what we are going to eat for lunch, about whether we will get off on the right busstop or not and then if you take two seconds you realize that, that old lady needs help climbing onto the bus. And the sixteen year old sitting next to you licking her used bus ticket so that she can restamp (because she had one for her, but not for her crazy friend) is struggling to find happiness in her troubled life. Or the many foreigners that have no jobs, but are still happier than they were in their homeland.


Or when you knock on a door and they cant talk to you because they are busy taking care of their husband who can no longer bathe himself, or a young mother answers the door with a half eaten banana in hand and a child clinging to each leg. Or the grandmother whose house is covered in toys and forts. Or when you buy a foccaccia and you discover that everyone that works there is a family and they
have recently lost their father.


How many people do you see each day? How many stories go untold, unnoticed? Just because we never ask.


The scriptures tell us, ask and ye shall receive. As I and also my companion have pondered and discussed this we have come to the conclusion that this is an eternal principle that applies no only to God but to others. Ask if you can help and you receive a friendship.


This is the best time of my life because I dont have to think about all the things the rest of you are thinking about. Instead, I get to spend day after day serving, teaching, and loving. In short, following the example of our Savior. Its not easy, we are rejected, just like he was. But I promise you there is nothing more satisfying than stepping up and taking your place with the greatest life this world has ever known.


People are always asking us how we are doing, if we are teaching, if its hard. They tell us that Bari is tough and the people are cold. But the thing is...It is not true. I have a testimony that this Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of God on the earth. And you know why? Because people say yes. People tell us that this is what they have been looking for all their lives.


They are teaching me. I have never known what its like to not know that I have a loving Heavenly Father who created a plan for me. I have always know that there was a Savior Jesus Christ who loves me. But there are people who wander through life without these. Alone. Without the comfort of the Holy Spirit guiding their lives. Or people who once knew, but have forgotten. And they are just kept from the truth because they dont know where to find it. Theres a reason the church sends out
50,000 missionaries at a time.


"Along your pathway of life you will observe that you are not the only traveler. There are others who need your help. There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save." -President Thomas S. Monson


This work is not just for full-time missionaries. There are far too many blessings to go around than we can handle. Yesterday at a Specialized Training Meeting we were invited to write down two or three things each day that we did to make the world a better place.
I invite all of you to do the same.


I love you, it sounds like you are all doing quite amazingly
and that many of you are in love (gross)


I promise as you take the small moments each day, to let someone cut in line or to smile at a stranger, you will come to find that you are happier and that your soul is fuller. Not to mention the lives of those you will touch will be blessed as well.

Sorella Laws

ps.
tomorrow is Italy Independence Day
we sang the national anthem on Sunday
Italia chiamò!!

No comments: