About the Blogger. Photography. Film Reviews. Contact Me.

Jun 21, 2009

Reasons to Love Dads

Dads are great. I know a lot of people don't have a great relationship with their dad which is why I feel incredibly grateful and try not to take for granted how lucky I am to have the one I got.

My dad helped me catch my first fish and then hid it from me when I was terrified of it flopping around.
He helped me build a Bunk Swing (that's right, a double decker swing) and we fantasized about patenting it and making millions.
He used to tell me to "Have fun, be good, drink Sprite" as I walked out the door.
He lets me make my own decisions and then remarks how he knew all along I was doing something stupid.
He is cuddly and always shares his popcorn.
He taught me about important things like playing Hearts and Cribbage and watching Cool Hand Luke and The Point.
He buys mum the flowers they had at their wedding on their anniversary.
He once jumped on a filing cabinet so a lady working for him would stop trying to fix it and let him get her a new one.
He tells me I can do anything and makes me believe it.
He always talks about moving back to the Middle East.
He yells at us to hurry up in Arabic.
He hates BYU but didn't disown me for coming here, and even helped pay for it.

Also, for those of us who've lost their dads or don't have the relationship they'd like, it's incredible to me how many other dad-like influences I've had in my life that have been just as good. This is particularly convenient in the way that my church is set up, with people being really close to each other and always being there to help each other out. Also, go watch Up and adopt an old man.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

your dad sounds awesome! i want to meet him!