About the Blogger. Photography. Film Reviews. Contact Me.

Apr 30, 2009

summer days

I started this blog last summer...And last summer was more than I could have hoped for. When I was looking for a job here in Provo, all I could think about was how I really wanted to be a camp counselor again. Sure, it's a bit of hell. But it was also very rewarding, and I basically got to do whatever I wanted as long as I didn't kill any of the kids, or let them kill each other.

Then I get the following wall post. And this kid is part of what made me love my job so much...

Lauren, I think you might like this:
okay, so I was reading the paper. and I found this poem in the kid writing insert. It's by a boy named Holden. He's in the 7th grade, and he goes to Leslie Middle school.

Rock n' Roll:

I love to Rock n' Roll
Lucky for me it doesn't require a toll

I play all night to the tune in my heart
And I'll play for you till I rock off the chart

I'll play for everyone to hear
but don't come to close or you might bust an ear

I'm in a band oh so mighty
My mom isn't so glad that we're all not that tidy

I'll play at whatever the cost
For rock is my love and I'll never get lost.


I had him for about three weeks (before I got cursed with 5 year olds and a surplus of drama kids). And he was like a puppy that is always excited to see you and you just want to hug them all the time and rub their head. He spent hours writing the next Indiana Jones (which he would star in) and begging me to tell him my real name. We covered a Weezer song with Chris and I took care of him when he got stinging nettle (and also told him he was an idiot). We explored parts of camp I told them were off-limits (but no one listens and I always just followed them).

Also, his name is Holden. And his dad is a filmmaker. He's just made to be awesome.

Sometimes it sucked that there was no structure, but it was really awesome that they were like, "here's some kids, entertain them for 9 hours."

I like working. I need my job to start so I stop posting here so many times in a row.

No comments: